Uncle Zakk Wylde Makes A Kid’s Day
November 2nd, 2007 at 11:50am

zakk-wylde.jpgImagine being a 12 year old kid going to your local music store for your weekly guitar lesson. Nothing unusual or extraordinary about that – probably is happening right now thousands of times over across the globe, kids of all ages and nationalities picking up a guitar to learn some music either for the fun of it, with dreams of stardom or perhaps to impress their classmates or some girl.

So there you are – you – your guitar – your teacher – your weekly lesson. Then some bearded dude with chains barges in – you and your teacher just about have a heart attack! Why? Because Zakk Wylde just crashed your lesson & is going to show you a few licks. But it gets better.  “You come with Uncle Zakk and you go pick any guitar you want on the wall and your Uncle Zakk will buy it for you.” HOLY SHIT! So now not only are you getting guitar tips from a legendary metal master but he is going to buy you a new guitar to boot?

Sounds like a dream. Sounds like a fantasy. But it’s not. It’s a true story that happened in Saskatoon. Zakk was giving an autograph session at the music store doing the usual promo appearance stuff during the Ozzy tour when he took a break and proceeded to make a fan for life. He also gave the kid, 12 year old Tanner Brayshaw, VIP passes for him & his family to the Ozzy show the next night.

“If what I do inspires some kid to pick up a guitar and jam, that’s the s—, without a doubt” Zakk says.

tanner-wtih-guitar.jpgGood for you Zakk you rule. Thanks for keeping it real. More rock stars should do random things like this no matter how famous they are. Hey you don’t have to be buying fans things as many musicians are not as well off as, well, Zakk Wylde, but hey – deeds go  a long way to connect with fans.

For the record Tanner chose a $600 red Gibson SG. He could’ve picked anything as there were many more expensive guitars to choose from. But that is the one he wanted. Maybe someday Tanner will return the favor to another generation as his humble character has already been displayed.

Here is the origial story: The StarPhoenix

31 Comments to “Uncle Zakk Wylde Makes A Kid’s Day”

1. lpkzach92 says:

Zaks so fucking pimp. What an awsome dude. THat kid is so fucking lucky.

2. Mike says:

Zakk Wylde is truly a legend among guitarists.

3. TBPATW says:

That is pretty much the shit.
    I’d do that for my fans if it was possible, any day of the fucking week.

That is one of the best stories I’ve heard about celebrities in a long, long time- good on ya, man!

TBPATW
    [-k]

4. jaxson williams says:

dimebag did something like that a few years back

5. J. boogeyman says:

Way to go!
    Wish more people was like that.
    Brother Dimebag did something like that years ago, he would be proud!

ZaKK, You “da man”

JB

6. Cameron says:

NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!….one hand washes the other………Zakk you do and always will have the true down to earth fans…….cam…BEATENBLACK/DIRT/AWAKE IN ANGER….

7. Alex says:

I cant believe how selfish Zakk is.

8. Travis says:

Now if more people did this, imagine how much better the world would be.

9. dude says:

Alex Says:
    November 3rd, 2007 at 4:56pm
    I cant believe how selfish Zakk is

wtf?

10. matt says:

um… by doing this, how does it make zakk selfish? he bought a kid a guitar, i mean that’s pretty bad ass.

11. steven says:

way better than ozzys lame win xgiving dinner with ozzy for 99 cents from your cell phone 75 times bullshit..

way to go zakk.. you the man! because you buy kids guitars.. and you know.. rock 20 minute solos based off of the national anthem.

12. david mosa says:

zakk that is so fucking cool of you hell i’m older and i would have shit an egg if you walked in on me and showed me some licks that is awsome and it shows what a hell of a guy you are,take care,dave.

13. Trav says:

Zakk is the shit. Named my son after him.

14. Slipknot 4 life says:

I bet this is fake

15. Bret Bard says:

I knew that legend still had his heart, long as you got heart inside your music and even while outside the career is a very good thing. (of course, not in an emo kid way lol), I’d wish to see/meet a skilled/veteran musician like Dez Fefara for say that would give pointers/help to others such as myself for vocalism ideals. But on the contrary congraulations to the young blood who recieved gestures of kindness. and to Zakk for representin that he’s more man than most musicians out there, and godbless dime’. -Bret

16. T-Bone says:

Travis Says:
    “This is incredible, in the day and age we live in, people are still looking out for the other person.

Now if more people did this, imagine how much better the world would be”

To right dude, especially these people who have the cash to help turn the tide on this world’s current state of vanity and selfishness

Good on ya Zakky!

17. Luke says:

Zakk is the shit! What a ledgend! Who’s the idiot above calling Zakk selfish?? What a prick!!

18. Debbie says:

I think your awesome Zakk … what a wonderful selfless act to do for someone and maybe change the life of that kid. I love your talent. I enjoy seeing you everytime your in my area playing (NYC) NY/NJ area.

19. Sanaz says:

I love this Guy..Great man

20. Pamela says:

Zakk and I share the same birthday and speaking in astrological terms…its just part of being a Capricorn!
    He’s the man. Does what he wants. Does it with heart. Does it BEST.

Not everyone will do this, especially rockstars(c*ckstars) because they don’t have a heart to begin with. It’s too much for them to even go out and sign autographs for the people that keep them going in the first place.

21. Thank You Zack for everything that you have done just for this wonderful boy but to even buy me a couple of drinks about 5 months back or so. You didn’t have to do that for me. Thank You Zack!!!

22. Johnny Crash says:

Sometimes gods have to leave the Olympus to visit the earthlings. Great for Zakk and the kid. This makes a more human Rockstar. In fact this is the real dude the real shit!!!. Ock on Zakk!!!

23. Damn, I’d freakin shit my pants. if it were me though, i’d find some poor broke teenage metal head with a shitty life and buy him a new guitar.

24. jeremy says:

fuck yea, man that kicks ass. Theres nothing better that you can get out of life than haveing a guitar GOD crashing your lesson and hookin you up with whatever axe you can get your hands on!!!! thats metal

25. Rob says:

that is kick ass, luck little kid, i was happy just with a pick that Zakk played at an ozzfest a few years, but rock on little man, keep that shit!!!!! never loose it !!!!!!!

26. Darin says:

ZAKK IS AN AMAZING GUY,NOT ONLY DOES HE DELIVER THE GOODS ON CD’S AND CONCERTS,HE ALSO TAKES THE TIME TO CONNECT WITH FANS AND TO PERSONALLY BUY A GUITAR FOR A KID,THAT MY FRIENDS ARE THE ACTIONS OF A VERY HUMBLE AND RESPECTFUL PERSON.MANY THANKS TO ZAKK FOR BEING AN EXCEPTONAL HUMAN BEING AND MUSICIAN.

27. Laura says:

Zakk, You are amazing, selfless, and caring, and Rock one of the best show’s I’ve ever seen..I love what you do..keep it up ..
    Laurie

28. nico says:

thats so badass zakk is a badass who dosent love this guy

29. vinsanity says:

that’s cool but, “legendary metal master”?

30. Bucannibal Rising says:

Thats the coolest thing I’ve heard in a long time.Not like some of these half assed rockers who think they are king shit,and charge you @ autograph signings for their name.Zakk is ,and will always be King shit in my book! I would do the same thing in a second for anyone.
    Take care all Zakk fans!–BR^